An interview with Author Thom Erb

                                               Zombiepalooza Radio Live #ZPR

The Voice of Indie


                                                                                   Author  Thom Erb

Could you tell the readers a little bit about yourself?

Howdy! I am Thom Erb. Middle-aged, one-time-wanna-be comic book artist-drummer, music-and all-things-pop-culture geek. I love to write stories with the most unlikeliest heroes and fast-paced action. I live in the cold-confines of western New York, with my lovely, wife, three cats, Houie, Maggie and Girllie. I'm a grandfather of an adorable two-year-old girl; Lorelei. I dig Dt. Coke, cold beer, Irish Whiskey and tacos.

What makes for a great apocalyptic novel?

Rich, meaningful characters. They rest is truthfully just set-dressing. If you don't care about the protagonist(s), the setting and zoms really don't matter. “Make 'em care about them, then put them through hell!”

Who are some of your favorite authors?

They are legion, but I'll try to be brief. (I know this may be genre specific but I dig what I dig.) Richard Matheson, J.R.R. Tolkien, Jonathan Maberry, Neil Gaiman, Brian Keene, Joe McKinney, Joe R. Lansdale, Elmore Leonard, Stephen King, Robert MacGammon, Jack Keroac, Aaron Sorkin, Quentin Tarantino, Kevin Smith, George Lucas, and so many more.

What is your all-time favorite apocalyptic novel, and film?

This is a very difficult questions, as I love so many books and movies. But, here goes:

Novel: I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Although when I read it as a teen and saw the movies (Last Man on Earth and Omega Man), I thought they were zombies. Well, at least for LMOE. I loved the complete isolation and oppressive emotion the setting created. The Stand by Stephen King, Rot & Ruin series by Jon Mayberry, Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank are all kick ass tales as well. 

If you could erase one apocalyptic cliché what would be your choice?

I'm not one who hates “clichés” as intensely as others do. However, I will say the biggest one is that the weak, or physically unfit are usually cannon fodder in the story. “I don't have to run fast, just faster than tubby here.” That kind of John Wayne hero archetype does tend to grind my gears a bit.

Which fictional character would be your perfect neighbor, and who would be your nightmare neighbor?

Perfect: Joe Ledger: The guy loves beer, baseball. A complete sarcastic smart-ass and kick the living, crap out of any bad guy. Hell, I am a very affable guy, we'd become fast friends and I'd never have to worry about anything ever again. Nightmare: A racist/homophobic/gun-nut, Eagles, Redskin, Giants fan. (all written with tongue-firmly planted in-cheek.)

What do you think of the current state of the genre?

Like the vampire genre, the apocalypse,(zombie) has passed the tipping point and the dipping in the Walking Dead's ratings kind of indicated that. (although, some of that has to do with hasty writing and half-assed effort by the show-runners,) but things are starting to slowly drop. With that being said, apocalypse, zombies, vampires will never die. (not just because they're the undead, but because the fans of these genres are rabid, steadfast and loyal fans that just plain love this stuff, and as long as they/we are still digging this dark, but very important genres, we're all going to be golden.

What was the last great book you read, and what was the last book that disappointed you?

Honky Tonk Samurai by Joe R. Lansdale. Joe never disappoints and one of the latest Hap and Leonard books was right up there with the rest. Such rich, real characters and an engaging story I couldn't put down. Joe is one of the best ever. I've read a novel by an friend of mine, and I just didn't have the heart to tell him how I truly felt about it. I'm not that kind of person. It was very sad and I felt bad for him. That's why I don't write bad reviews on books. I'd rather focus on the positive.

How would you describe your writing style?

Lean and fast paced. I tend to not get bogged down in heavy thickets of description, as I love to concentrate on the characters and their dialogue.

Are there any reviews of your work, positive or negative that have stayed with you?

Of course. (although, most will tell you not to believe too much into negative of positive reviews. As the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.) The negative first. A reader seem to like the story but couldn't get past the bad editing of the story. There is not excuse and I now strive with each story, novel to make it the shine the best that I and my editors can. Positive. It was actually part of the introduction the great author, Joe McKinney wrote for my first novel, Heaven, Hell, or Houston. It made me cry. I won't write it here, but you should check it out. Thanks, Joe. You're the Man!

What scares you?

Not living long enough to write and share all the stories I have inside with the world. I got started in the writing game later in life so I have a lot of catching up to do. Aft fifty years-old, I ain't over the hill yet, but Father time is a mofo.

Who would be on the soundtrack to your life story?

I love the hell out of this question! Music has always been a huge, integral part of my life. I've been a musician since I was sixteen and been in bands every since. I have a pretty diverse musical library but I would say the following bands would be on at least Vol. One of the ERBAL NATION SOUNDTRACK:RUSH, Iron Maiden, DIO, Black Sabbath, Allman Brothers, Govt Mule, Stryper, the Good Rats, Van Halen, Elvis, Hank Williams Jr., Metallica, Dean Martin, Miles Davis, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, the Beatles,

What’s the most important lesson you have learned about writing?

I've learned so much since I started writing seriously about ten years ago. But I would say that as a writer, man, you have to stick to it. It's not easy. It's damn hard work, but when the happy writing mojo is working, it's euphoric. Keep you're arse in that chair and kick that blank pages, buttocks.

What aspects of writing to do you find the most difficult?

I find the writing itself fun and exciting. It's the evil editing processes I continue to struggle with. It's very true when they say that editing is when the work and true writing begins. And boy, oh boy it can suck. But, it's the end result I keep focusing on. That and the promise of a nice glass of old Irish whiskey to celebrate when the book is done.

How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?

I've always been a creative soul. Since I was a two-year-old, I can remember drawing elaborate battle scenes with the army guys fighting the Nazis, and coming up with different stories for the characters and all of that. I've come a long way since then, and I feel like life has shown me so many aspects of living and going to college, I met an incredibly diverse group of people. I've read a wide array of books, plays, and have traveled, so I believe my creative has benefited from such vast experiences. Yeah, sure I write about zombies, rednecks, drunks, and teenagers with attitudes, but all of those characters wouldn't be who they are if I hadn't experienced all those things I mention. But, I do hope to continue to grow as a person and a writer. After all, there's still so much to do.

What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?

I'm not sure if the question is referring to internal or physical tools. So, I'll answer for both.

Internal Tools: A love for writing. You darn well better love it because writing isn't always sunshine, rainbows and free-flowing cocktails, no sir, or ma'am. It's hard work. Thick skin is very helpful. You are creating something from nothing. Pulling it out of your soul, like an imagination archaeologist. Folks will rip your work to shreds, leave scathing reviews. While some will love what you've written. Praise it to high heaven, as the next big thing. Don't believe either of this folks. The truth, (as far I see it.) lies somewhere in the middle. Patience is the third internal thing a writer needs. Nothing happens in the publishing world, whether traditional or independent. Everything moves at a snail's pace. Take a deep breath and get to work on something new. Oh, a fourth tool, you must be kind to other writers. It's not a competition. We are all in this adventure together. So, don't be a dick.

Physical Tools: Learn your craft. Take the time to read/understand what makes a good story work. Learn the business of writing. Take off your writer cap and put on your business hardhat. It's tough out there, make sure you know how it works so you don't get scammed, or taken advantage of. You must also keep reading. Read everything. Not just the stuff you write. Fiction, non-fiction, romance, sci-fi, everything. Then you can see how others do it. Location, location, location. You need a comfortable place where you can be you, and let your creativity flow freely, without judgment or interruptions. The last thing (not really) is the will to never give up. Keep living your dream. It doesn't matter if you still are working your 'day' job, or are living off of your work. Keep sharing yourself and your imagination with the world. Trust me, the world needs your stories.

(Now, I may have rambled here, and melded the two sets of tools together. Sorry about that.)

What is the best piece of advice you ever received from another author?

Just write the damn story. Never stop when it gets hard. Don't worry about any errors, misspellings, just tell the whole story and get it on the page. That's what editing and rewrites are for. Just do it!

Who is your favorite character from your book and why?

Samantha Quinones, or Sam. I really enjoy writing strong, fiercely independent female protagonists. She starts out a quiet, very religious teenage girl, who's taken of the role of mom, since her real mother died years before. Although she lives with her grandfather, she is the true master of the house. In a way, she's a sad character, in that she has been forced to grow up far too soon. Then the zombie-apocalypse happens, and we see Sam really struggle, but eventually shines.

What character was the most difficult to develop?

Sam. (see above)Well, being a fifty-year-old white guy, from farm country, it was initially pretty difficult to get into the mind of a sixteen-year-old Hispanic, city girl. But, through the magic of writing, I discovered who Sam really was, in her soul. And after that, I think I've done a good job. (I hope.)

Fame, fortune, or respect?

I'd be lying if I said it's not about the money, but it has to be at least a little bit. I'd be very happy to make enough money to be able to fully support my family, nothing fancy, just the basics. I don't really need fame, but respect would be cool though.

What piece of your own work are you most proud of?

I'm still working on that. But if I had to chose, I'd say the LAST in LINE. It was the first book I wrote and it has taken ten years to get it right.

What 3 words would you use to describe your writing style?

Honest, personal, lean.

For those who haven’t read any of your books, what book of yours do you think best represents your work and why?

That's a tough one. But I would suggest they read THE LAST IN LINE. It's coming out in May 2018. It's a retro-zombie-apocalypse, urban fantasy, coming-of-age, thriller. As a kid of the 80's, this novel is sort of a love letter to my teen years. It has zombies, demons, undead assassins, secret societies, ancient prophecies, all set to an 80's heavy metal soundtrack with some Dungeons & Dragons thrown in for good measure. It's fun, fast-paced story, filled with a cast of teens who just wanted to grow, instead of fighting to save their world.

Can you tell us about your last book, and can you tell us about what you are working on next?

It was the LAST IN LINE- Please see above, I described this groovy book in detail. I'm about 3⁄4 of the way through HEAVEN & HELL, the sequel to the Last in Line. As well as two more novels that are in the editing cue. WHISKEY BENT and HELL BOUND. It's the sequel to HEAVEN, HELL, or HOUSTON. And there also set in the Eternal Flame Universe.

The second novel, is SNOW BLACK- it's a monster novel set in a small lakeside town in western New York. I call it my King/Koontz novel. (Not that I'd ever dream of comparing myself to two of the best in the business. It's more the style and vibe that I was shooting for.)

What's the one question you wish you would get asked but never do?

Mr. Erb, we would really love to make your novel into a movie, would you be willing to sell us the right?” I think we all know what my answer would be.


Website: www.thomerb.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zombiepalooza Radio Live March 13, 2022